FOG (Fats, Oils & Grease) are a natural consequence of cooking and also occur naturally in many foods. FOG can be found in things such as:
- Cooking Oils and Shortening
- Meat Fats and Juices
- Dairy Products
- Butter and Margarine
- Salad Dressings, Sauces and Marinades
FOG clogs occur when grease is washed into the plumbing system, usually through the kitchen sink, and gets stuck inside pipes once it cools and solidifies.
Even small amounts of FOG stick to sewer pipes and accumulate over time, restricting or blocking the flow of sewage. A sewer backup can overflow into streets and into homes, creating public health hazards and damaging properties and the environment
You can make a difference by properly disposing of FOG. See disposal information below.
- Scrape greasy pans and dishes into the trash before washing.
- Use sink strainers to catch food items and empty into the trash.
- Pour FOG into a sealable container, such as a coffee can, and take advantage of one of the available free FOG disposal options for Placer County Residents.
- Don’t put FOG down the drain.
- Don’t use your garbage disposal to wash fatty/greasy foods away. Food scraps can clog sewer pipes – even after the garbage disposal.
- Don’t use grease dissolver additives. They only pass grease down the line and cause problems in other areas.
- Prevent disruptions to your sewer service
- Prevent smelly, costly sewer backups
- Prevent damage to the environment
- Help keep your sewer costs down
How to prepare for your FOG pickup
- All cooking fats, oils or grease should be allowed to cool to room temperature.
- Place cooled fats, oils or grease in a clear plastic container with a screw on lid.
- All containers should be clearly marked “food grease” on the outside of the container.
- Containers should only contain cooking related fats, oils and grease and no other material such as food scraps, water and garbage.
Pick Up/Drop off services are available for proper disposal of FOG. Please refer to our Drop Off Locations to find out more information.
Let's not lose touch.